Friday, August 12, 2011

Water Flows


Back at work at Memorial Hospital in Gulfport, turning on a faucet I get all the water I want. A visitor can amble up to the water fountain and quench his thirst. I wash my hands before touching each patient. A nurse can go to the ice machine and press a lever to receive a quart of freshly created potable cubes. Now, the faucets in Keumbu Hospital provide water too!

In our society we take the availability of water for granted. We consider drinkable water a societal right, along with housing, and cleanliness. These basic rights are not available in much of the third world. We know there are homeless people in our society, but even those can find a public toilet at a fast food restaurant, or perhaps a service station. In Kenya, people use the bushes. They drink out of the creeks. They throw their litter on the ground.

I'll be returning to Kenya in about seven months to follow up on the project. In the next few months I plan to send money to buy three purifiers for the hospital. By my return I hope to have found a resource for $9000 to put in a "bore hole," what we in America call a well. I'm only one person, with the understanding that I can't change the world. But I do make a difference in one small part of it. Those of you who have supported my efforts have made that difference possible!

3 comments:

  1. Philip, love this post. Reminds of the quote, "To the world, you're just one person, but to one person, you can be the world." In a couple weeks, our church is bringing a team of Kenyan women to Hope (hopepres.com). They will speak of peace and how one person can make a difference. They'll talk about people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post Philip. I really enjoyed meeting you at the FWA conference. Hope to see you there again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring up one basic need we take for granted. After spending time off the grid and having to restrict water usage or travel five miles to a spring for a fill-up, I became acutely aware of how fortunate I was to face this situation willingly. I think everyone, if possible, should try water restriction for several days to see what a blessing we have with this commodity. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete