Monday, August 1, 2011

Water!

The water project is nearing completion and I'm delighted to say it's been a huge success. Zachery, the water engineer, fixed the plumbing and tapped into the pipes and we now have water running from the faucets in the hospital. Since none of them have been used since the hospital was built 12 years ago, some need repair, but most are already working and the nurses, staff, and administration are delighted! This is clean rain water, not drinkable, but good for washing hands and most other needs. The new plan for purifiers is to buy 3 or 4 small ones like you would put on your sinks at home. They're relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain.

We have a working toilet too! Until now everyone has used outhouses. I knew the hospital had been installed with toilets, but what I didn't know, but the engineer discovered, is that the hospital has a septic system too. It's never been used, but it's fully functional, built to drain underground over a large field down the hill from the hospital. For a mere $2500 we've changed the health care of the thousands who count on this hospital for medical care. It's not all the hospital needs, of course not, but it's a huge step! There's plenty of water. Rain comes frequently and we have three full 5000 liter water tanks we'll be using and a 60,000 liter underground cistern that will eventually be filled with rainwater run off as well.

I still owe them about $500 and would like to come up with an additional $1000 to replace the rusty gutters so rain collection will be more efficient. If any of my readers would like to help, please purchase my beautiful safari book at www.ndovutheelephant.com for $20 plus postage. 100% of all sales will go to this project. As I mentioned in my last blog, finances are difficult here. I brought $5000 cash and it's almost all gone now. No one will take my credit card, even Barclays bank, the only International bank. They tried to run the card for $500 cash advance and it was refused. I called my credit card people and they said they have no record of the cash advance request being made from them and if they had received it they certainly would have authorized it. My ATM debit card which I've used successfully here last year and in several other countries around the world, even Mozambique 3 years ago, also does not work at these ATMs. No idea why. So I'm using cash on hand. Fortunately it's been enough and,

HURRAY! WE HAVE WATER!

No comments:

Post a Comment