Monday, December 17, 2012

The Doctor Is In


At the New Orleans Heather Graham Writers Conference this weekend I pitched to seven agents.  I have this marvelous novel manuscript, “Andrew Comes Home,” a mainstream contemporary fiction that won first place in the 2008 RWA in New Orleans, first place and the contest’s Grand Prize at the Dixie Kane Classic in 2010, and in 2012 a second place in mainstream fiction at Florida’s Royal Palm.   It’s a well crafted, meticulously written, compelling read.  I’ve pitched it repeatedly at various conferences, in query letters on line, and in person whenever I could.  At this conference I received a collective ho-hum, two of the publishers agreed to receive it via email attachment, no guarantees they’ll even read it. 

Each interview lasted ten minutes.  I began with a pleasantry, and proceeded to draw out from my bag a stack of credentials; my beautiful children’s photo books,  the “Rocking Chair” anthology, some write-ups of my accomplishments, and some of my own magazine publications.  With the groundwork laid, I launched on my manuscript presentation.  Only once did the reception change.  One of the agents while thumbing though the magazine publications I handed her latched onto the article I wrote about my missionary trip to Kenya for the state medical journal.  “You were the first doctor there in twenty years?”  I admitted I was.  THIS is what she wanted, the story of my missionary work. 

At the end of the conference I was schmoozing with one of my fellow authors.  Well, I’m being bold to imply I’m anywhere NEAR the level of Jonathan Maberry as a “fellow author.”  He’s a New York Times Best Seller, has 25 books to his credit, and a movie contract in the works.  (http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Jonathan-Maberry/67600213)  (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/72451.Jonathan_Maberry).  He said, yes, no doubt “Andrew Comes Home” is a good book.  But there are tens of thousands of good books out there.  My brand needs to be about my medical journeys; my E.R. stories, my mission work, my unusual adventures including being a medical examiner and music festival physician.   Once I have those books ready I can make a three book deal to include “Andrew.”  He suggested everything I write should include “M.D” on my byline. 

I suppose he’s right.  People CARE about the M.D.  Up 'til now, I’ve always thought of my writing as separate, reserving my M.D. for those areas where it belonged, treasuring it rather than commercializing upon it.  Still … if I want to get my writing noticed, perhaps I should give this another thought.  It’s a personal decision, a big shift in my perspective, and one I think I’m not ready for. 

Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment