Thursday, October 16, 2014

September 22 - Africa Trip - Blog 1

Africa September – October 2014

Blog #1:  September 22

Dear Friends,

Once again I’m off to see the world.  This, my fifth trip to Africa, will be the shortest.  In 2008 I provided medical care in the poor suburbs of Maputo, Mozambique through the Mercy Ships organization.  From 2010 – 2012 I spent about three or four weeks each year in my rural clinic in Keumbu, a village in the western mountains of Kenya, work described in my book, “On a Mission.”  Last year, instead of Africa, I provided medical care in a Leper colony in India.

I arrive tomorrow morning in Amsterdam, Netherlands.  Amsterdam has a well-deserved reputation as a haven of free spirits and individual rights.  Marijuana is sold openly in “coffee shops.”  Women-of-the-Night display their wares in glass walled rooms.  Culture opportunities abound too, though I’ve already thrice toured the most famous, the Van Gogh museum.

After a twenty-four hour stopover, I board on the 24th for Nairobi.  There I meet with Jared, a fellow who I supported financially through “medical school,” and Francis, an upper level bureaucrat I’ve known for a few years. This latter I met through my brother, Michael, whose career with the US Census Bureau, the United Nations, Harvard, and Hawaii’s East-West Institute, has taken him to over 100 nations around the globe, with resultant friends practically everywhere.   I might also meet with Mishael Oyunge, the head of the HIV program for the country.  A night of dining and stories in Nairobi will follow. 

The next day I fly to Kisumu, a town on Lake Victoria.  There I’ll be met by my friend, Pastor Robert Nyamwange with a rented car and we’ll drive the hour to Keumbu.  When I first arrived in Keumbu, population … oh … 1000, in 2010, I spent three weeks volunteering at their hospital.  I learned a bit of Swahili, studied tropical diseases I’d never before seen, and recognized the needs of a third-world medical system.  In 2011 I returned to begin the water project, bringing with me that year and in 2012 a smattering of supplies and gifts.  Of those, the most important was the water project.  This project alleviated hundreds of deaths due to lack of clean water for drinking, cooking, or medical needs.

When I sell my books at art fairs, showing off my Mission book, sometimes I hear stories of other missionaries or soldiers traveling to Africa and digging wells.  It’s a wonderful and generous action.  Unfortunately, it’s generally more of a gesture.  For once the well is in place, who remains to maintain it?  I paid to have a pump placed in Keumbu in 2011.  In a few months the water supply ran out, and the next year I placed a well.  By 2012 the pump had burnt out.  I paid to have it replaced.  In 2013 the cistern had sprung so many leaks it wouldn’t hold water.  I had to pay for a repair job there.  Earlier this year the septic system needed a rework.  Placing a pump and well is only part of the job, unless those placing the well insure a system to keep it working, it will soon be like an old car on blocks rusting in a backyard. 

So, I will be checking on the water system, and paying for needed repairs.  I’m also bringing gifts for the hospital, over-the-counter medications not available in Africa such as Benadryl and Tylenol, and a pulse ox machine that runs on AA batteries.  The hospital part of this trip will be short, only a few days.  While in Keumbu I stay with the Pastor at his orphanage.  The orphanage began in about 2008 when a homeless girl wandered into Pastor’s church one morning asking if anyone could feed her.  Pastor adopted her, and by my first visit in 2010 he had adopted seven.  By 2012 the residency was ten.  Now he is supporting forty orphans.  When we leave Kisumu we’ll stop first in the county seat of Kisii Town with its three grocery stores and pick up large bags of rice, flour, sugar, salt, and other necessities for the orphanage.  100% of the sales from my Ndovu and Mission books go to my mission trips, and from that I’ve budgeted $1000 for supplies to the orphans. While in Nairobi I will leave in Jared’s care a suitcase stuffed with donations for the orphanage.  Jared will take the suitcase by bus to Keumbu the next day and meet me there.  Let me take this moment to express my thanks to the three nurses at Memorial who donated clothing and toys, and the students under Claudia Parker at Columbus, MS, School of Science who gathered toys as well. 

After my Keumbu visit, I fly to Johannesburg, South Africa.  Here I will be met by Marilyn Bassin.  Marilyn and her husband ran an HIV Orphanage in Sowetto, and, though he passed away last year, she continues to provide care there.  I’ll stay with her and help at the orphanage and see what other medical adventures are available for the next few days.  I have a short tour planned for the end of my stay in South Africa before flying back to the states via Legos, Nigeria.

As I said, it will be a short trip, but a full one.  I’ll send blogs with photos when I can. Some people have asked if I worried about Ebola.  Despite the reality of its rapid spread, it actually isn’t overly contagious if proper precautions are taken, and by that I don’t mean Haz-Mat suits 24/7.  (Anyone ever tried to wear one of those things?  They don’t allow your skin to breathe and within five minutes you’re feeling like you’re in an oven!)  Ebola has its victims in northwest Africa while I’m in the South and Southeast, far away.  My only concern is the airlines might decide to close the Legos airport, requiring a new route home.

So … on to Africa and more adventures.  Feel free to send me feedback, greetings, observations, etc.  It’s always good to hear a few cheerful words from home.

Fondly,

Philip

  

No comments:

Post a Comment