Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Back to Nairobi

This Kenyan missionary trip was planned for three stages. The first four days were vacation, lovely days on the beach. They've been fabulous, with camel rides, a tour of a fifteenth century Portuguese fort, a tromp through a natural wildlife park where we fed the giraffes and fended off large tribes of monkeys, jet skis, and a colorful glass bottom boat tour out to the coral reefs which included snorkeling. I've snorkeled in the Red Sea, the Caribbean, Hawaii, Isla Mujeres (Mexico) and now the Indian Ocean.

We returned to Nairobi with plans to pick up the Purifier being shipped from Nevada. However, the fellow who was responsible for shipping it never sent the tracking number, even with email request reminders. UPS here searched all their records and could find no indication it was ever shipped (was supposed to be shipped on the 18th). Next I'll call him long distance (!!!) and see if I can find out what happened. Meanwhile, we're spending an extra unplanned night in Nairobi.

At lunch at Pizza Hut (really!) today I sat with a group of Canadian college students. As part of their education they are taking an extended program here doing missionary work. There were four of them, two of each gender, aged 20 or so. Very delighted and inspired by the volunteer work they've done here. One was a physical therapist in training who has been working with disabled children in an orphanage. They're all doing fascinating work. I asked how long they'd been here ... so far three months. THREE MONTHS! They're finishing up their assignments now and will be traveling to other parts of Africa on tour, from here to Rwanda. Last year while here I met many young (and some older) American volunteers. They travel without fear and are learning so much and giving of themselves, helping so many. It's truly a blessing, or, as we say in Hebrew, a mitzvah.

I've taken a bout 250 photos thus far. I put together six of them with an article about Fort Jesus and sent it to my Sun Herald contact, Anita Lee, though I don't know if she'll want to publish it. I've done a tiny bit of writing on my novel, keeping a diary, and written a bit of other fiction. Already running low on money and clean laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment